Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Anyone with 8PSI on a B16A motor?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member VtecRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9th, 1999
    Posts
    46
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a friend that will be purchasing his SC within the next couple of weeks. He wants to start out with 8 PSI and I wanted to know if anyone has done it yet.It is a 99 Civic SI. He was talking about changing to stiffer valve springs, but I don't recall hearing much about having to change valve springs for upping the boost to 8PSI. thanks guys! smile

    8PSI IS A HAPPY PLACE smile

    ------------------
    Boost on,
    Eric
    95 SC'ed Sedan


  2. #2
    Inactive Member Glenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 17th, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Once my Turbo is installed I plan to have it set to 8psi. (with intercooler of course)
    I hear the bottom end should be able to take 10 street and 12 psi at the rack due to its near perfect rod ratio.

    I'm not too worried since stock bottom end B18C1s can take 10psi from a JRSC.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member SC SiR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2000
    Posts
    79
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a B16A with a JRSC. All else stock, it made about 7.5 psi. Then recently, I change my air filter to a Trust Airinx II foam filter in the stock box. I'm making 8.25 psi.

    Don't kno why, coz I expected the kit to make only 6.5 psi out of the box.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member fastfour's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 27th, 1999
    Posts
    709
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You are probably showing higher boost pressures b/c of a restrictive exhaust system. I you free things up a bit your boost readings should come down. I have the 6psi kit on my LS and it reads about 5 psi, probably b/c of free flowing exhuast and straight pipe.

    ------------------
    94 Civic Coupe/LS Hybrid
    JRSC@6psi
    AEM CAI
    DC 4-1 Ceramic Header
    Test Pipe
    GReddy PE exhaust
    Magnacore 8.5mm Wires
    MSD 6A
    Skunkworks Coilovers
    ACT 6 Puck
    Turbo Convert

  5. #5
    Inactive Member zip's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 1999
    Posts
    1,160
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have stock I/H/E w/ an 8psi pulley. The peak boost numbers are 10psi and 12psi at VTEC. I'm sure aftermarket I/H/E will lower the peak boost somewhat.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have done a DOHC Del Sol with 8psi... this car rocks and is driven HARD every day. It has had the blower on it since October of '99.

    Yes, with the proper tuning, the B16A can take the pressure !!!


    ------------------



    '93 Civic Si H/B with B18C1, JRSC @ 8psi
    Best 1320: 12.68 at 110 mph

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member rjaffey's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 1999
    Posts
    764
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Zip,

    Can you elaborate? Does the boost jump from 10 to 12psi when VTEC switches over or does it just continue to creep up from 10 to 12psi gradually.

    What I don't understand is why would the boost reading go *up* at VTEC crossover? Would the VE suddenly change so much that there's suddenly a lot more exhaust and hence that much more backpressure?

    I'm actually seeing about 1/4 to 1/2psi drop in measured boost at VTEC crossover (10 down to maybe 9.5psi or so). I know you're talking about a B16A not a B18C engine (mine) here, but the comparison is still somewhat valid I should think.

    Ideas anyone?

  8. #8
    Inactive Member zip's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 1999
    Posts
    1,160
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It actually spikes to 12psi after VTEC, this is uncanny because the cam overlap should reduce the boost pressures.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •